After upgrading from my WSL XVision (WiFi only) to a Viewsonic Viewpad 10s with internal 3G card, I was searching around for a ROM that gives the best support for the 3G.
I played with different stock ROMs, like the Mobii, Viewpad, Smartsurfer, Advent Vega, but none of them had what I needed. And Custom ROMs like CorvusVegaROM, FujiVega or CM7 didn’t support my Huawei 3G card.
So it was time to create my own.
Based on a ROM for the Webmachine UX100 I started to make my own small mods and changes. The base ROM is P10_image_20110223_v1.10, but the V1.10 is maybe a typo, because the ROM is the same than the V1.09 from other companies offering the P10AN01 based tablet.
- Removed unnecessary apps like Korean Keyboard, Market replacement apps (didn’t work anyway), LiveWallpapers, iFilemanager (FC with BuzzVega Kernel 0.7), help guides, …
- Updated APN list
- Changed hosts file with ads block
- Replaced wpa_supplicant for access to AdHoc WiFi accesspoints
- Changed to Buzz Vega Kernel 0.7
- Added new bootloader.bin for BSOD fix.
- Added ClockWorkMod recovery and reboot APK from Paul
- Added my mod of the NI keyboard
- And of course it has the Messaging app, so you can send and receive SMS and MMS.
- And just in case someone needs I added Titanium Backup and Visionary Root
- And of course the main Google apps -> Market, Gmail, Contacts and Calendar
- I kept the original launcher and added the VTL launcher, but its easily upgradeable, as it is installed in /data/app/
- I kept as well the Adobe Flash Player V10.1.120.10, as it was coming with the original ROM.
On the graphic side I changed the status bar to a smaller one and replaced the red home/menu/back buttons with green ones. I replaced as well the blue 3G/E/G icon against green ones. The standard wallpaper is my favorite picture of Mount Fuji.
The ROM is installed the same way as you do with a stock ROM.
- Get the ROM from my Downloadpage.
- Unzip it to a folder.
- Switch off your tablet
- Connect USB cable to PC
- Boot into NVidia recovery by pressing back button 2 seconds, while holding back button press power button for 2 seconds, while still holding back button release the power button, then release the back button after 2 more seconds
- Start lvds.bat and the ROM will be flashed.
- If you get problems with the USB drivers or have other difficulties, check ” Advent Vega – ROMs / Software Updates / Guides / How Tos, Links to ROMs, Flash Updates, Guides, Misc apk’s” on MoDaCo. There you find help for nearly every possible problem.
- Have fun and give me feedback.
And here are some screenshots: